Elementary Food Hygiene (online)
Across the UK, thousands of individuals within the seafood industry have completed one of our Elementary Food Hygiene programmes to achieve a food safety qualification. By completing this online course, individuals and businesses benefit. A food hygiene qualification should be important to you, your manager, customers and others.
- A nationally recognised and accredited qualification.
- Qualification awarded by Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS)
- Qualification will satisfy legal requirements for food handler training.
- Elementary level qualifications are suitable for the majority of operatives, team leaders, supervisors and some managers in the seafood industry.
- Our online study materials and exams are available in English, Lithuanian, Polish and Portuguese.
- Most people take between 5-10 hours to study the online materials and videos to become exam-ready.
- The invigilated remote exam is via Zoom from the comfort of your own home or workplace.
- Study materials and remote exam fee is currently fully funded for seafood workers.
It was with great pleasure I found that Seafish was offering some incredibly useful online courses. Two staff completed the Elementary Food Hygiene programme using Polish learning materials.
- Study at your own pace.
- Choose when and where you study with access to online materials 24/7.
- The online materials are presented as a series of individual chapters.
- Test your knowledge with the end of chapter self assessment questions.
- Track your progress with the online learning log.
- Take practice exams online until you are ready to sit the exam.
- When you are ready, contact us to arrange your free invigilated exam.
I found the Seafish food hygiene course very interesting as I like to always be learning. I enjoyed using the online platform as it allows me to learn at my own pace. I can fit it in around my work schedule as well as being able to soak in the information without the pressure of someone having to talk through it in a few hours.
The course modules are provided by The Seafood Training Academy and are available to download as PDFs from the external links below. To access the materials in Lithuanian, Polish, Portuguese and Welsh, please visit The Seafood Training Academy website.
1. Hygiene versus bacteria
2. A more detailed look at bacteria
3. People cause problems
4. Avoiding contamination
5. Keep it clean
7. You and the law
8. Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACPP)
9. Essential Food Hygiene for Fish Friers
Answers to the self assessed questions
Appendix and revision guide
Food Standards Scotland (FSS) Allergy Poster handout
The above online segments* are also available as a complete printed open learning pack for £15.00 (inc p&p) upon request from Onshore Training.
* excludes the FSS poster.
Access additional resources on the following links below:
Self-Assessment Questions (SAQs)
Practice online tests on The Seafood Training Academy Website
Requirements to access study materials and exam
- You will need an internet connection to access the materials and the remote exam.
- You will need a device with a webcam and microphone for the remote exam.
The exam is free for seafood workers and is funded by Seafish. For non-seafood workers, the cost of the exam is £25.
How to book an exam
On completion of the study materials, the next step is to book an exam. Individuals should only book an exam when ready to do so. To book an exam, please contact our Onshore Training team by following the link below.
Qualification awarded by REHIS
- On successful completion of passing the 30-question multiple choice supervised exam, students are awarded a qualification by REHIS.
- The Elementary Food Hygiene qualification is equivalent to a Level 2 Food Safety certificate and is recognised internationally.
For further information about the course, please email email@example.com or contact one of our onshore approved training providers.
Achievement of this qualification allows you to undertake the Elementary Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP) by eLearning programme.