Food hygiene online learning
Thousands of people in the UK seafood industry have already completed this course to achieve a food safety qualification.
What you need to complete:
- 10 hours of independent study. Course materials are downloadable as pdfs below
- A 30-minute invigilated multiple choice exam with a pass mark of 60%
Learners can now take the exam remotely by a video conference call with a Seafish-approved invigilator. Remote exams are only available to people over the age of 18, unless parental consent is provided.
Those who pass the exam will receive a certificate from The Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) and Seafish. This is equal to a Level 2 Food Safety Qualification in England, Northern Ireland and Wales
This course is available for FREE for a limited period. The usual fee for this course is £50 (£15 for the workbook, £10 certification fee and £25 for exam). But we are offering funding to make it available to seafood employers and employees (or those very recently employed in the seafood industry) for free during August and September 2020 (subject to approval). Find out about more funded online learning opportunities.
- Access the pdf modules within the course materials and documents section to start learning. They are available on the right hand side of this page.
- Maintain the study logsheet to record your learning hours as you go.
- When you are about halfway through studying the pdfs, you should contact our Onshore Training team to book in your exam. This will be available remotely by video conference software such as Skype, Zoom or Microsoft teams.
- Our team will provide you with contact details for your invigilator. You can then get in touch with them to confirm arrangements before your exam.
Before your exam
- Complete all the online learning course materials, update your study logsheet to record your full hours of study and complete the self-assessment questions.
- Email your invigilator with a suitable proof of identity and a copy of your completed study logsheet.
- Send your examiner evidence that you have completed the self-assessment questions if asked to. This is part of the checks so please have this available to send or show onscreen to your invigilator.
The exam process
- Meet with your exam invigilator at the agreed time via a previously shared link for an online video conference.
- The invigilator will confirm your identity and that you are ready for the exam.
- Once the exam begins you will have 30 minutes to answer 30 multiple choice questions.
- The invigilator will share their screen with you so that you can see the exam questions. They will ask you to select A, B, C or D as your answer for each question.
- After all questions have been answered they will ask if you want to review your questions if time allows, or have the questions marked.
- Your results will then be available without delay.
- If you pass – well done, you will be sent a record of your result and your certificate will be ordered from REHIS.
- If you don’t pass – you can retake the exam in a few days to give you some more study time. Only one funded retake is provided.
Course materials and documents
The course modules are available to download as pdfs from the links below:
- 1. Hygeine versus bacteria
- 2. A more detailed look at bacteria
- 3. People cause problems
- 4. Avoiding contamination
- 5. Keep it clean
- 6. Contamination
- 7. You and the law
- 8. HACCP
- 9. Essential food hygiene for fish friers
- SAQ Answers
- Appendix and revision guide
Important course documents and additional resources are available from the links below:
Our online Elementary Food Hygiene materials and online exams are now available in Polish, Portuguese and Lithuanian. If you would like to study using these materials then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information contact: