Seafish Wales Advisory Committee (SWAC)
The core membership of SWAC is representative of the Welsh industry, from fishing and aquaculture, distribution and processing, through to retail and foodservice. Welsh Government representatives, Natural Resources Wales and scientists also attend meetings to provide updates and information as required. SWAC therefore provides a useful platform for liaison between different Welsh seafood sectors and these other bodies.
SWAC projects and reports
Seafish undertakes projects on behalf of the Welsh seafood industry, as directed by the Seafish Wales Advisory Committee (SWAC). Further information can be found below.
The agendas and minutes of all previous meetings are published and available to download, once ratified by the Committee.
Seafish encourages the seafood industry's opportunities to thrive and provide opportunities and a safe, and sustainable seafood industry for Wales.
Current SWAC Projects
Improving fishing safety in Wales
Seafish are working closely with the Welsh Fishing Safety Committee (WFSC), Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) to improve the safety of Welsh fishing vessels and fishermen whilst working at sea. Two projects are currently underway:
'Wales Fishing Safety Awareness' project
This two year industry-led, insight-driven programme of communication and engagement activity was designed to increase commercial fishermen's awareness of key health and safety issues, and improve the safety culture of the Welsh fishing fleet.
Wales Seafood Industry Dashboard
Seafish have developed an online Wales Seafood Industry Dashboard to improve accessibility to key information about the Welsh seafood industry and present a high level summary of the Welsh seafood industry's progress throughout the years.
SWAC reports and outputs
- Quay Issues article: Tracing fish from sea to plate (2017)
- 2016 Welsh skates and rays fishing fleet report
- 2016 Welsh sea bass fishing fleet report
- Wales Seafood Industry Dashboard (2017)
- Quay Issues article: Collaborating to develop a management strategy (2016)
- Wales Seafood Strategy 2015 to 2025 (2016)
- Understanding Welsh Seafood Supply Chain project report (2016)
- 2015 Welsh sea bass fishing fleet report(2014)
- A social and economic impact assessment of cockle mortality in the Burry Inlet cockle fishery, South Wales UK (2015)
- Quick Guide to food standards at public events: Commercial fishermen (2014)
- Welsh Waters Scallop Strategy - Summary of Scallop Research (2013)
Other Seafish-supported publications relevant to the Welsh seafood industry
- Effects of electrofishing for Ensis spp. on benthic macrofauna,epifauna and fish species. (Prepared for the South and West Wales Fishing Communities Ltd as part of Electrofishing for Razorfish (Ensis spp.) Project (FIFG 57437))
- UK Shellfish Production and Several, Regulating and Hybrid Orders: The Contribution and Value of Orders in Relation to the Sector's Past Development and Future Growth
- Aquaculture in England, Wales and Northern Ireland: An Analysis of the Economic Contribution and Value of the Major Sub-Sectors and the Most Important Farmed Species