Aquaculture Common Issues Group
The ACIG provides a safe meeting space to discuss the key challenges facing the industry to deliver responsibly farmed finfish and shellfish. People take part to keep-up-to-date with the latest developments, to be part of a cross-industry discussion and listen to the issues raised by other parts of the industry. They can also raise their own issues, network with other people or make new contacts.
The group is led by our industry and we take responsibility for running the ACIG. The Group has met twice a year since 2009. The ACIG brings together people who represent the retail, producers, food service and restaurant industry. Other people who attend are not-for-profit environmental voluntary groups, consumer groups, government, scientists and industry bodies.
ACIG meetings and bite-size meetings
There are generally two meetings a year. The presentations and minutes from the most recent meetings are below. Presentations and minutes from previous meetings are available from Karen Green.
Due to COVID-19 we are running shorter online bite-size ACIG meetings in 2020 and 2021.
The next meeting will be in January 2021. Details to follow.
See the presentations from ACIG bite-size (21 October 2020). Future strategies for UK aquaculture production. In May Seafood 2040 commissioned a project to develop a strategy to grow the aquaculture sector in England over the next 20 years. This meeting looked at what the strategy outlines. With the shifting landscape for the aquaculture industry we also heard about what is happening across the UK to support the aquaculture sector in these uncertain times. See the presentations from this session:
- Plans to grow aquaculture in England. James Fox Davies, Fowey Shellfish and Chair of the SF2040 Aquaculture Leadership Group.
- Aquaculture Industry Wales. Jon Parker, AIW.
- Marine Scotland/Scottish Aquaculture Industry Leadership Group. Robin MacLean, Marine Scotland.
- Shellfish management in Northern Ireland. Heather Moore, Agri-Food and Biosciences Institute (AFBI).
See the presentations from ACIG bite-size (5 August 2020). Telling the story of responsibly farmed seafood. This meeting explored attitudes towards farmed seafood and looked at how the industry is trying to spread awareness of basic aquaculture facts and production methods and really tell the story of responsibly farmed seafood. See the presentations from this session:
- Issues, perceptions and concerns.
- The ‘story behind the food’ – conclusions from the Cargill Feed4Thought consumer survey.
- Global Aquaculture Alliance 101 educational series.
- IFFO social media campaign to refine the public's understanding of the science behind the marine ingredients industry.
See the presentations from ACIG bite-size (24 June 2020). Farmed seafood - the market and perceptions. This meeting explored the current UK market for farmed seafood products and looked at positive ways to engage seafood shoppers through marketing to address misconceptions around aquaculture products, as well as a look ahead to future developments. See the presentations from this session:
Terms of Reference and archive
- We have archived presentations from previous meetings. These are these are available from Karen Green.
- Notes and minutes on the meetings can be found below.
- The Terms of Reference (ToR) for the group (March 2019) can be found here.
- To be added to the ACIG mailing list to receive our monthly news update and details on meetings please register here.