Seafood processing sector survey
Our processing survey helps us to put together an accurate picture of the seafood processing sector in the UK to inform both government and industry.
2021 Processing Survey
Our survey of UK seafood processing businesses began on 6 April 2021.
The timeline for the 2021 survey is:
- April - May: Survey period
- June – September: Data collation and analysis
- October - December: Share results with industry and government
Why participate in the survey?
The seafood processing sector faces potential challenges and opportunities:
- changes to the regulatory landscape
- new trading relationships, immigration policy and workforce availability
- continuing to work in a 'Covid-safe way' and responding to the ongoing pandemic
At a time of change it is important for industry and government to have accurate, up-to-date information on the sector. The survey helps us to put together an accurate picture of financial performance and socio-economic importance in terms of jobs and Gross Value Added (GVA). The more data that businesses can provide the more accurately the sector will be represented in our industry estimates.
The survey data also informs all the other work we do for the sector. It provides an opportunity for you to feedback on further support or resources that could help your business.
How will my data be used?
We recently published our updated seafood processing industry performance data:
Other recent examples of how your data has been used include:
- Capturing the impacts of Covid-19. These have formed part of our Covid-19 impact reports and have helped inform government support schemes for the sector.
- Demonstrating local jobs supported by the sector to schools to help attract new entrants.
- Identifying how businesses are likely to be affected by Brexit and providing relevant support and guidance on importing and exporting.
- Evidencing sector reliance on EU labour to government, influencing new migration policy.
- Providing evidence to government and local councils on low industry margins, proportionately high energy costs, and regional discrepancies in business rates. This demonstrates the need for business cost relief.
What does the survey involve?
A ten to fifteen minute phone call during which we'll ask you about:
- main activities of your business
- species you process
- size and make-up of your workforce
- accounts information to supplement publicly available data
In some cases we'll also email you a financial survey to complete.
We will attempt to contact all UK seafood processing businesses and invite them to take part.
Get in touch
If you have questions about the survey or enquiries about how industry estimates could be used to support your business please email email@example.com