Our team of market analysts collate a broad spectrum of reports and insights relating to the UK seafood market from landing, trade, retail and foodservice perspectives.
The team analyse these sources and regularly communicates relevant trends. These updates are received and valued by industry stakeholders from fisherman, processors and retailers to the media and government. The core objective for providing this insight is to enable stakeholders to make informed decisions, allowing them to devise strategies and approaches based on robust information.
Market insight is provided in various ways:
- Market reports are scheduled and are freely available online to seafood businesses.
- Bespoke analysis is provided directly to stakeholders in response their enquiries.
- Presentations and publications on key topics are produced and delivered as appropriate.
The reports and insights delivered by the team are based on the three themes: Foodservice, Retail and Trade. Some of the standard reports are detailed below, click here to register for a password and username to access market data. Bespoke analysis on certain areas is also available. To discuss your requirements please get in touch with our Market Analysts Julia Brooks or Richard Watson.
Through working with our research partner Crest and Technomic, we are able to provide a picture of the complex and evolving UK foodservice sector and the role of seafood within it. These reports and presentations provide an update on performance and opportunities by channel and are complemented by ad-hoc reports on key topics. For example:
- The Seafood Trends in Foodservice factsheet relates to how seafood is performing in the out of home foodservice channels and highlights overall trends
- The Fish and Chips in Foodservice factsheet relates to the performance of fish and chips when purchased together as a complete meal from any commercial foodservice outlet
A complete picture of retail and consumer shopping trends is compiled from various sources for example: AC Nielsen ScanTrack and HomeScan Data, BrandView price and promotion reports, plus retail and consumer trends overviews from the Institute of Grocery Distribution (IGD). Our team works in partnership with data providers to produce a range of reports, which are then made available to industry:
- Seafood retail and shopper trends including top line sales trends, consumers purchase KPI's and retailer market shares. These focus on the following areas: Industry Context, Ambient, Cod, Haddock, Pollock, Prawn, Salmon, Scampi & Langoustine, Shellfish and Smoked.
- Overall grocery retailer trends including retailers' share of total spend, the fast moving consumer goods (FMCG) and grocery markets.
Retailer in-store activity reports including retailers product
launches, pricing and promotional activity.
Seafish retail summary reports combining insights from retail data, consumer trends and in-store activity to create an industry picture.
- Seafood special reports focusing on specific seafood sectors/species/segments and providing details such as changing shopper habits and demographic profiles.
- Protein comparison reports comparing the performance of seafood against other meat and poultry.
For a complete picture of how seafood is trading in the UK, data is collated from several sources:
- Seafood imports and exports data from the Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC) is updated monthly but released two months in arrears. This data offers details of seafood product imports and exports to and from the UK by country, species and product format for the current month and year-to-date, in both quantity and value. Seafish also produce an annual summary presentation which pulls out the key insights and is available once a full years' data is available.
- Globefish reports provide detail regarding international seafood trade, supply, pricing and trends.
- Seafood landing and quota uptake data for the UK from the Marine Management Organisation
Seafish seafood value chain map relates to the values of the
different sectors of the UK seafood industry