Services and helplines for trading with the EU

Find contacts and links for organisations and agencies responsible for the administration of trade processes with the EU or to help with queries.

If you are looking for support or information with filling out forms, we recommend you contact the organisation responsible. We have also listed other organisations that might be able to help you with general queries.

Customs and VAT

HMRC Customs & International Trade helpline

  • Telephone: 0300 322 9434
  • Textphone: 0300 200 3719

HMRC Import and export general enquiries

  • Telephone: 0300 200 3700.

On the HMRC imports and export general enquiries info on

  • Use webchat to speak to an adviser online about general import and export queries.
  • ​send a question about imports, exports and customs reliefs.

HMRC Border services

You can also use a online service to tell HMRC that you are going to be attending an inland border facility if you are a haulier, freight forwarder or driver. This allows you to check availability and capacity and tell HMRC in advance that you are attending an inland border facility. This will help you get processed on site as quickly as possible.

Certificates and documentation for exporting

Catch certificates

The Marine Management Organisation (MMO) handles administering catch certificates which are needed for all exports.  They have published guidance to support commercial fishing vessel owners, merchants and exporters.

To get a catch certificate register on the Fish Export Service. If you’re having issues, contact the help line 0330 159 1989 (Mon-Fri 09:00-17:00)

Creel for fishing going in to the sea from back of a fishing boat

Export Health certificates (EHCs)

The UK Government has created an online service to administer Export Health Certificates for all businesses in Great Britain.

You will need to register on  Export Health Certificate Online.  There is guidance to help with registration on the website.

If you need help with this, you can contact Animal Plant and Health Agency (APHA) Centre for International Trade on or on 03000 200 301.

For help with export documentation email your enquiry and telephone contact details to and a certification officer will call to advise.

Logistics and transport

UK Government

The website also has more information about the Prioritisation Scheme for seafood exports and haulier requirements

If you need a Kent Access Permit - for travel of an HGV over 7.5 tonnes between Great Britain and the EU via the Port of Dover or Eurotunnel - use the online check a HGV service

Photo of large bags of mussels being loaded on pier - features forklift working between ship and lorry

Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)

  • Vehicle operator licensing enquiries - 0300 123 9000
  • International Road Haulage Permits - 0330 678 1117

Border Controls

To check if a Border Control Post in the EU takes your goods, we recommend contacting them first. There is a list of contacts on the European Commission website.

Help for businesses in Scotland

The Scottish Government

The Scottish Government has published guidance on its Prepare for Brexit website.  You can fill out a query on the website or call 0330 303 0661 (Mon-Fri 08:30-17:30). The Fish Health Inspectorate team at the Scottish Government may be able to help too. The web page lists specific people to contact.

Food Standards Scotland

The Food Standards Scotland website has information on:

Contact  for more information.

Help for businesses in Northern Ireland

The Government in Northern Ireland have published a step-by-step guide on how to get started and use TRACES-NT. This includes how to create a TRACES-NT account, how to login to the online system and how to create a CHED document.

More information on the DAERA website includes:

Product safety and standards

Office for Product Safety and Standards

The Office for Product Safety and Standards can you give you information on following product safety regulations now we are no longer in the EU. They can be contacted on 0121 345 1201.

Intellectual Property Office (IPO)

The IPO deals with patents, trademark and copyright issues which may be affected after leaving the EU.  They can be contacted on 0300 300 2000. 

Mackerel being processed in factory

Recruitment and citizenship

Home Office

The Home Office should be contacted for any queries on citizenship.

  • UK Visas & Immigration helpline - 0300 790 6268
  • EU Settlement Scheme application resolution centre - 0300 123 7379