Preparing your business for EU Exit - Further guidance

The UK left the EU on 31 January 2020 and is in the transition period until 31 December 2020. Find out where you can get further guidance.

Last Updated: Friday 1 November 2019

Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra)

Defra has responsibility for fisheries, food and marine policy areas and provides practical support and information to business on such areas.

Department for International Trade (DIT)

The Food & Drink Team in DIT can help seafood businesses to export and grow into global markets whilst promoting innovation and helping overseas companies invest in the UK.

Gov.UK - Brexit Collection

The Gov.UK website hosts all the technical notices published in preparation for a no-deal situation.

Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA)

In England, Scotland and Wales, APHA is responsible for issuing specific export health certificates (EHCs) for seafood destined for countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, China,  USA and Taiwan. This is generally in circumstances where the destination country requires information different to that provided for on a standard EU EHC. You will need to contact APHA before exporting seafood to make an initial check on APHA’s list of currently available EHCs.

Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA)

DAERA is a competent authority in Northern Ireland and works closely with Defra in the establishment and maintenance of new markets and developing export health certificates.

Food and Drink Wales

This department of the Welsh Government can help Welsh seafood businesses export and grow whilst providing practical support on protected food names, financial matters, innovation and other operational matters.

Food Standards Agency (FSA) Food Standards Scotland (FSS)

FSA and FSS are responsible for food safety and food hygiene across the UK, working with local authorities to enforce food safety regulations. They provide advice to businesses on how to manage food hygiene and safety at every stage of the process.

Marine Management Organisation (MMO)/ Marine Scotland

Both agencies have responsibility in their territory for marine planning, marine protected areas, marine licensing, managing the UK fishing fleet capacity, UK fisheries quotas and fisheries control.

Chambers of Commerce

British Chambers support and advise businesses in all areas of international trade development. They are focused on exporting and maintain a national and worldwide network.

Your Local Authority

Local authorities can provide assurance to authorities in the destination country that the food products being exported meets minimum food safety requirements as well as any additional conditions required by the destination authority. Contact your local environmental health/ port health department for more information.

Further guides