Principles of Fish Smoking
This course is suitable for people who want to know more about how to smoke fish. It is aimed at people who would like to set up their own fish smoking operation and individuals who have some experience of working in the industry. Having appropriately trained staff will assist businesses to function effectively.
- The learner will gain a good theoretical understanding of brining, salting and smoking fish.
- No pre-course requirements although some food hygiene knowledge is helpful.
- Learners who attend the course and actively participate in discussions will receive a Seafish qualification.
Information about the course
- This one-day taught course, delivered using Zoom, will help the learner become knowledgeable in the key principles of fish smoking.
- Post course learning materials are provided.
- The learning materials are only available in English.
- There is a voluntary online exam.
- Learners who attend the training course and who have actively participated in discussions will be awarded with a Seafish certificate. Those that pass the exam will be awarded a Seafish qualification.
- This course is now jointly delivered by two Seafish-approved trainers.
The main topics covered are:
- Brining, salting and smoking methods.
- Kiln operations.
- Achieving a quality product.
- Cold and hot smoking processes.
It costs £150 per person to attend the full day course. 50% funding is currently available for qualifying individuals. (T&Cs apply).
Qualification awarded by Seafish
Learners who attend the course and actively participate will receive a Seafish attendance certificate.
There is a voluntary post course open book online exam with this course.
If you choose to take the exam and pass it then we will issue a Seafish accredited qualification.
Book a place on the course
To book a place on the course, please email our Onshore Training team by following the link below.