Health & Safety online learning
Materials for this elementary health and safety course are available to download as pdfs below. The course requires around 10 hours of independent study followed by a 30-minute invigilated multiple choice exam with a 60% pass mark. Those who pass the exam will receive a certificate from the The Royal Environmental Health Institute of Scotland (REHIS) and Seafish.
This regulated qualification is recognised throughout the UK and internationally and is equivalent to a Level 2 Health and Safety Qualification in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.
Hundreds of people in the UK seafood industry have used this programme to achieve a recognised health & safety qualification, and now thanks to an agreement with REHIS we can offer the examination online too.
Learners can now take the exam remotely by a video conference call with a Seafish-approved invigilator. Please note that remote exams are only available to people over the age of 18, unless parental consent is provided.
This course is available for FREE for a limited period: The usual fee for this course is £50 (£15 for the workbook, £10 certification fee and £25 for exam). But we are offering funding to make it available to seafood employers and employees (or those very recently employed in seafood) for free during August and September 2020 (subject to approval). Find out about more funded online learning opportunities
- You can start learning now by accessing the pdf modules within the course materials and documents section (right hand side of this page).
- You should maintain the study log to record your learning hours as you go.
- When you are about 70% of the way through studying the pdfs, you should contact our Onshore Training team to book in your exam – this will be available remotely by video conference software such as Skype, Zoom or Microsoft teams.
- Our team will provide you with contact details for your invigilator so that you can get in touch with them to confirm arrangements before your exam.
Before your exam
- You must complete all the online learning course materials, update your study log to record your full hours of study and complete the self-assessment questions.
- You must also email your invigilator with a suitable proof of identity and a copy of your completed study log.
- You may also be asked to send your examiner evidence that you have completed the self-assessment questions as part of our checks so please have this available to send or show onscreen to your invigilator.
The exam process
- You will meet with your exam invigilator at the agreed time via a previously shared link for an online video conference.
- The invigilator will confirm your identity and that you are ready for the exam.
- Once the exam begins you will have 30 minutes to answer 30 multiple choice questions.
- The invigilator will share their screen with you so that you can see the exam questions and they will ask you to select A, B, C or D as your answer for each question.
- After all questions have been answered they will ask if you want to review your questions if time allows or have them marked.
- Your results will then be available without delay.
- If you pass – well done, you will be sent a record of your result and your certificate will be ordered from REHIS.
- If you don’t pass – you can retake the exam in a few days to give you some more study time. Only one funded retake is provided.
Course materials and documents
The course modules are available to download as pdfs from the links below:
- Module Introduction
- 1. Health & Safety At Work
- 2. Health & Safety Laws
- 3. Accidents & Illness
- 4. Risk Assessment
- 5. First Aid At Work
- 6. Personal Protective Equipment
- 7. Workplace Safety
- 8. Work Equipment
- 9. Electricity
- 10. Fire Prevention
- 11. Occupational Health
- 12. Hazardous Substances
- 13. Ergonomics & Workstation Design
- 14. Manual Handling
- 15. Noise & Vibration
- 16. Other Risks & Hazards
Important course documents and additional resources are available from the links below:
Find out about our food hygiene online learning course
Contact our Onshore Training team
T: 01472 252 300