North Western Waters
The first stage of this was introduced from 1 January 2015, when the pelagic and industrial fisheries fell under the landing obligation.
The demersal landing obligation was introduced in fisheries of interest to the UK fleet in North Western Waters from 1 January 2016. It will impact all fisheries covered by the Common Fisheries Policy (CFP) by 2019. Because the regulation relates to fisheries rather than species, this means that during the transition phase (2016 to 2018) there will be some species that can be discarded by some vessels but not by others, in the same sea area. Member States that were members of the North Western Waters Sea Advisory Council drew up Discard Plans for which species will need to be landed by which vessels in North Western Waters.
New guidance for 2019 is being included as it is published. Please note links to new MMO gear selectivity fact sheets at the bottom of the page, as well as specific guidance for dealing with choke scenarios under the landing obligation.
- Discard Atlas North Western Waters Demersal Fisheries 2014
- Discard Atlas North Western Waters Pelagic and Industrial Fisheries 2014
Discard Plans for North Western Waters for 2019
- Commission Regulation establishing a discard plan for certain demersal fisheries in North-Western waters for the period 2019-2021. October 2018.
For more information and general guidance at EU and regional level
- Scientific, Technical and Economic Committee for Fisheries (STECF)
- North Western Waters Advisory Council
- Pelagic Advisory Council
- EU Guidance on discarding and the landing obligation
- The EU DiscardLess project
The Devolved Administrations in the UK have all published guidance at a UK level on what is included and when.
Guidance for North Western waters pelagic species
- MMO landing obligation guidance 2019 - Pelagic all areas
- Guidance for Northern Ireland pelagic industry for 2017
- Marine Scotland Guidance Note from 2015
- Welsh Government
Guidance for North Western waters demersal species
- MMO: Landing obligation general requirements for 2019. November 2018
- Marine Scotland: Demersal Landing Obligation advice for skippers for 2018. December 2017
- DAERA: North western waters landing obligation guidance for 2018. April 2018
- Welsh Government. Demersal Landing Obligation in 2018. December 2017
MMO gear selectivity guidance for North Western waters fisheries in 2019
The Marine Management Organisation has produced specific gear selectivity guidance for North Western Waters in the form of fact sheets.
- North West - Beam Trawls
- North West - Celtic Sea - Nephrops Trawls
- North West - Celtic Sea Demersal Trawls excluding Nephrops and Beam Trawls
- North West - English Channel and Northwest Approaches excluding Beam Trawls
- North West - Fixed Nets
- North West - Irish Sea - Nephrops Trawls
- North West - Irish Sea Demersal Trawls excluding Nephrops Trawls and Beam Trawls
- Guidance for dealing with choke scenarios under the landing obligation