Seafood Restaurant of the Year Competition
Seafood Restaurant of the Year is run by The Caterer and sponsored by us. The competition is open to UK restaurants with fish and shellfish on their menus, and it seeks to reward restaurants and cafes and other eateries that demonstrate both excellent examples of cooking and serving fish and shellfish, and evidence of fish and shellfish knowledge. The judges also look for clear evidence of responsible sourcing of sustainable raw ingredients, successful fish and shellfish promotion on menus, excellent levels of product knowledge both front and back of house, and examples of how customers are encouraged to eat fish and shellfish.
The 2019 Seafood Restaurant of the Year winners were Padstow’s Prawn on the Lawn.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, there is no 2020 competition.
The following restaurants were shortlisted as part of a top 12 in the 2019 Seafood Restaurant of the Year competition:
- Coast in Saundersfoot, Pembrokeshire
- Estbek House in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Fish City in Belfast
- Hook in Broadway, Worcestershire
- Lumiere in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Prawn On The Lawn in Padstow, Cornwall
- Rockfish in Brixham, Devon
- The Captain's Galley in Scrabster, Caithness
- The Cod's Scallops in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- The Seahorse in Dartmouth, Devon
- The Star Inn The Harbour in Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Wright Bros. in London
The 2019 judging panel includes a number of leading UK chefs and prominent restaurant and foodservice industry experts:
- Adam Thomason, Executive Head Chef, The Genuine Dining Co., London
- José Souto, Chef lecturer in Culinary Arts, Westminster Kingsway College, London
- Guy Owen, Owner/Chef, The Idle Rocks, St. Mawes, Cornwall
- Calum Richardson, Proprietor, The Bay Fish & Chips, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire
- Amanda Afiya, Sauce Intelligence, London
- Giovanna Grossi, Group Area Manager, AA Hotel Services
- Lisa Jenkins, Products and Suppliers Editor, The Caterer, London
- Adam Bateman, Group Operations and Development Chef, Principal Hotels/InterContinental Hotels Group
Besides the kudos of being judged by a prominent judging panel containing a range of leading chefs, and the benefits to be gained from promoting your restaurant as an award winning establishment, there are also a number of other prizes up for grabs.
Members of the overall winning restaurant will be invited on an all-expense paid study trip to Brixham, Devon or to Peterhead, Aberdeenshire (the winner’s choice) to learn about the catching, processing and supply of seafood from either south west England or north east Scotland, to other parts of the UK.
Members of the overall winning restaurant will also be invited on an all-expense paid study trip to visit Billingsgate Fish Market in London and to attend a masterclass event at the Billingsgate Seafood Training School.
In addition to a fantastic winner's trophy for the top restaurant, the range of other prizes to be won includes prize vouchers to be redeemed against cookery equipment and signed copies of cookery books.
The previous winners of the Seafood Restaurant of the Year Competition are:
Winner: The Idle Rocks
The other Top 5 shortlisted finalist businesses in the 2018 competition (in alphabetical order) were:
- Kaspar's Seafood Bar and Grill, The Savoy, Strand www.kaspars.co.uk
- Riddle and Fins, Brighton, East Sussex www.riddleandfinns.co.uk
- The Little Fish Market, Hove, East Sussex www.thelittlefishmarket.co.uk
- Wright Brothers, Borough Market, London www.thewrightbrothers.co.uk
Winner: The Salt Room
106 King's Road
The other Top 5 shortlisted finalist businesses in the 2017 competition (in alphabetical order) were:
- Ninth Wave, Isle of Mull, Argyll and Bute www.ninthwaverestaurant.co.uk
- Rocksalt, Folkestone, Kent, www.rocksaltfolkestone.co.uk
- The Idle Rocks, St. Mawes ,Cornwall www.idlerocks.com
- The Staith House, North Shields, Tyne and Wear www.thestaithhouse.co.uk
The other Top 5 shortlisted finalist businesses in the 2016 competition (in alphabetical order) were:
- Ondine, Edinburgh www.ondinerestaurant.co.uk
- One-O-One, London www.oneoonerestaurant.com
- Rockfish, Brixham, Devon www.therockfish.co.uk/restaurants/brixham
- The Staith House, North Shields, Tyne and Wear http://thestaithhouse.co.uk
225A West George Street
The other Top 5 shortlisted finalist businesses in the 2015 competition (in alphabetical order) were: