The UK’s Top 10 Fish and Chip Restaurants have been revealed today as part of the 2020 National Fish & Chip Awards. Organised by Seafish, the public body that supports the £10bn UK seafood industry, the awards are the UK’s premier awards for fish and chip businesses.
The UK’s Top 10 Fish & Chip Restaurants are, in alphabetical order:
- Fish! Borough Market, Borough Market, London
- Fish City Belfast, Belfast
- Knights Fish & Chip Restaurant, Glastonbury, Somerset
- Malt and Anchor, Cirencester, Gloucestershire
- Quayside Gourdon Limited, Gourdon, Aberdeenshire
- Saltwater Fish Restaurant, Torquay, Devon
- Something Else Fishy, Milborne Port, Sherborne, Dorset
- The Cods Scallops, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- The Fisherman’s Wife, Whitby, North Yorkshire
- Trenchers Restaurant, Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear
These 10 finalists will now compete for the chance to take home the coveted title of the ‘UK’s best fish and chip . The restaurant award category is open to all UK fish and chip businesses with a sit-in restaurant at the main business location.
Fish and chips is the UK’s national dish and each portion is an excellent source of protein, carbohydrate and many essential vitamins and minerals. The National Fish & Chip Awards recognise outstanding restaurants across the country that are serving incredible fish and chips and providing excellent customer service. Shortlisted businesses have gone above and beyond to secure their place in this stage of the competition.
It’s not just about food quality; there are a wide variety of additional factors that make them great, including:
- Excellence in the sustainable sourcing of key ingredients
- Staff training and development policies and career opportunities for young people
- Creation of innovative menu options for those with allergies and dietary requirements
Judges will make a final round of visits to each of the restaurants for mystery dining assessments, before crowning the UK’s best fish and chip restaurant on 23 January 2020 at the award ceremony in London.
Marcus Coleman, Chief Executive at Seafish, said: “The UK is world-renowned for fish and chip takeaways, but there are plenty of incredible restaurants serving tasty, healthy fish and chips to sit in customers day in day out. We have 10 of these exceptional restaurants represented in this list. Each is a credit to our industry and we wish them all good luck in the final round of judging.”
Award Sponsor Alan Pearce, Field Sales Manager at Goldensheaf, added: “These top 10 restaurants have proven themselves to be focused on providing the best sit in fish and chips dining experience available in the UK today. Each of them excels in a number of different areas from the quality of food they offer through to their commitment to sustainability and the way in which they support and develop their staff. Any one of them would make a worthy winner, best of luck to them all.”
The winner of the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award will be announced at The National Fish & Chip Awards’ 32nd anniversary ceremony in London on 23 January 2019.