Shortlisted as semi-finalists for the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award - one of 15 categories in the 2018 National Fish & Chip Awards - the 20 shops will now compete for a place in the final and the chance to clinch the title of 'UK's best fish and chip restaurant'.
Hailing from across the UK, the 20 restaurants in what are considered to be the 'Oscars' of the fish and chip industry are:
- Catch Seafood, West Vale, Halifax, West Yorkshire www.catchseafood.co.uk
- Eric's Fish & Chips, Thornham, Norfolk www.ericsfishandchips.com
- Fish 'n' Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset www.fishnfritz.co.uk
- Food In The Park, Blair Atholl, Perthshire www.foodintheparklive.co.uk
- Longsands Fish Kitchen, Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear www.longsandsfishkitchen.com
- Poppie's Fish & Chips, Camden, London http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk
- Poppie's Fish & Chips, Soho, London http://poppiesfishandchips.co.uk
- Tailend, Dundee, Angus www.thetailend.co.uk
- Tailend, St Andrews, Fife www.thetailend.co.uk
- The Atlantic, Portreath, Cornwall www.theatlantictr16.co.uk
- The Cod's Scallops, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire www.codsscallops.com
- The Fish Factory, Worthing, West Sussex www.protorestaurantgroup.com/fishfactory
- The Fishermans Wife, Whitby, North Yorkshire www.thefishermanswife.co.uk
- The Pelican, Barnstaple, Devon www.pelicanfishandchips.co.uk
- The Rembrandt Restaurant, Easton, Norwich, Norfolk www.rembrandtrestaurant.co.uk
- The Scallop Shell, Bath, Somerset www.thescallopshell.co.uk
- Trenchers Restaurant, Whitby, North Yorkshire www.trenchersrestaurant.co.uk
- Upstairs At No1 Cromer, Cromer, Norfolk www.no1cromer.com
- Whitby's Fish & Chip Restaurant, Catcliffe, Rotherham, South Yorkshire www.whitbysrestaurant.co.uk
To reach this stage of the competition, the 20 restaurants have been assessed against a wide variety of judging criteria, including menu development and innovation, responsible sourcing policies, staff training and development processes and marketing and promotional activity.
Over the coming weeks, judges will make unannounced visits to respective restaurants to undertake mystery dining assessments. This next stage of competition judging will whittle down the shortlist and establish the top five fish and chip restaurants that will compete for the overall national title to be presented at the 30th anniversary awards ceremony.
The winner of the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year Award will be announced at The National Fish & Chip Awards' 30th anniversary ceremony in London on 25 January 2018.