Funding is currently available to support a wide range of courses, including:
- New Entrant Training - our three-week Introduction to Commercial Fishing course is designed for people interested in starting a career in the fishing industry.
- Refresher Safety Training - this can be undertaken by experienced fishermen who completed their mandatory safety training more than three years ago. The courses cover sea survival, fire-fighting, first aid and safety awareness.
- Under 16.5m Skipper's Certificate – comprising short courses in Navigation/Bridge Watchkeeping, Engineering/Engine room Watchkeeping, Stability Awareness and GMDSS radio operation. Additional funding is also available for fishermen who already hold the Seafish Under 16.5m skipper's certificate to undertake further advanced courses.
- Certificates of Competency - grant support is available for experienced fishermen undertaking MCA (Fishing Vessel) Deck and Engineer Officer Certificates of Competency.
- Other short courses - other eligible courses may include a higher level GMDSS radio operator certificate, an Electronic Chart Display and Information System (ECDIS), Approved Engineering Course (AEC) or Human Element Leadership and Management (HELM).
Funding is only available for new entrants wanting to enter the fishing industry and experienced commercial fishermen who are fully compliant with Basic Safety Training requirements.
Current deadlines for EMFF/MCA funding are as follows:
- England - 31 March 2020
- Scotland - 31 December 2019
- Northern Ireland - 31 March 2019
- Wales - 30 September 2019
Please note: Available funding is allocated on a first come first serve basis so funding up until the final dates cannot be guaranteed.
How to Apply
For refresher training or voluntary training courses towards our Under 16.5m Skipper’s Certificate, contact your local Seafish Approved Training Provider (ATP) and they will offer you the course free of charge, providing you satisfy the eligibility criteria. If you wish to undertake training with anyone other than a Seafish ATP, then you will have to fill out a training grant application. Funding for more advanced qualifications, such as a Certificate of Competency, can only be obtained by submission of a grant application form. See the Downloads section at the right of this page to download a copy of the grant application form.
Please note: Funding is not available retrospectively, so all applications must be approved in advance of training being undertaken.