The draw to determine the respective shops that will be judged against one another for the next judging stage of the Fish and Chip Shop of the Year Award, was undertaken at 11am on Tuesday 27 August 2019. Allocating a number against the name of each individual Top 20 shop prior to the free draw (with numbers 1 to 20 being allocated against shop names when listed alphabetically), the numbered balls were placed into the draw bucket, and the draw was conducted by Kelly and Tim Barnes, owners of Krispies Fish and Chips of Exmouth, Devon, the reigning UK champion shop in this award category, with proceedings being adjudicated over by representatives from Seafish, Craig Maw from the National Federation of Fish Friers (NFFF) and Ryan Baker, President of the National Edible Oils Distributors’ Association (NEODA).
The results of this year's Top 20 National Fish and Chip Awards draw were as follows:
- Hook & Line, Leeds, West Yorkshire VS The Golden Carp Chippy, Redditch, Worcestershire
- The Frying Squad, Bangor, County Down VS Carron Fish Bar, Stonehaven, Grampian
- Rockfish, Brixham, Devon VS Walnut Tree Traditional Fish and Chips, Milton Keynes, Hertfordshire
- Belmont Bay Fish Bar, Harrow, London VS Dolphin Takeaway, Dungannon, County Tyrone
- Fish and Chips @ Weston Grove, Upton, Chester, Cheshire VS The Bearded Sailor, Leeds, West Yorkshire
- French's Fish Shop, Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk VS The Cod's Scallops, Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
- Hooked @ 31 Wales, Fishguard, Pembrokeshire VS Fish 'n' Fritz, Weymouth, Dorset
- Seafare, Guildford, Surrey VS Mike’s Traditional Fish & Chips, Bishopstoke, Eastleigh, Hampshire
- Low's Traditional Fish & Chips, Aberdeen, Grampian VS Hiks, Swansea, West Glamorgan
- Fiddlers Elbow, Leintwardine, Herefordshire VS Shap Chippy, Shap, Cumbria
The two shops competing against each other will now be assessed by the same judging assessor and the appointed assessor will conduct a detailed and in-depth judging audit of respective shops, including assessment of both front and back of house aspects of each business and the mystery tasting and testing of products. These shops will be visited by the respective assessor on an unannounced date, at any time between 29 August and 12 September 2019 inclusive. This judging stage will determine the overall Top 10 shops in the UK that will progress to the national final judging stage to be held in London in January 2020.