Project and Governance Manager Vacancy
This page has information on:
- Job status: Permanent, full-time.
- Location: Seafish Edinburgh Office, Grimsby Office or Homebased
- Salary: The starting salary on this band for this post is £40,109 (dependent on experience).
Seafish is here to give the UK seafood sector the support it needs to thrive. Our work makes a huge difference. We collaborate with a wide range of partners – from seafood businesses and trade bodies to government, regulators and environmental organisations – and we engage in everything from research to campaigns, insight and training.
In 2022, we were listed by Best Companies as a good company to work for. We are committed to creating a modern, dynamic, and positive workplace where people are supported and developed to be at their best. We want you to feel motivated and inspired to deliver great results and in return we offer a fantastic suite of staff benefits, professional development, and flexible working culture.
Our people and our culture are important to us. We need you to be someone who aligns with and can demonstrate our cultural values; you are an enabler and will find a way to get things done, a team player who thrives on working collaboratively, an innovator who is not afraid to suggest a better way of doing something, and a specialist, so we help find out the answers when others can’t. There is a lot to be proud of at Seafish - and our staff year on year tell us they are proud to be part of Seafish.
At Seafish we operate a Results Only Work Environment (ROWE) which focuses on performance not presence. Working with ROWE means having autonomy and accountability in equal parts and working in a way that is most effective for you, as long as your work gets done to the expected standards. You’ll have a personal development plan which clearly outlines the objectives and competencies for your role and your learning and development goals. You’ll also have regular catch ups with your line manager, along with mid-year and end of year reviews to discuss your work and performance.
We are looking for a highly organised, methodical professional with excellent problem-solving skills to lead accountability for the maintenance of high standards in project management and governance at Seafish, including project and programme management, internal audit and corporate risk.
The main dimensions of the role are:
- Leading a team of two Project & Governance Officers and one Internal Coordinator.
- Collaborative partnership working with the Executive team and staff across Seafish to achieve results.
- Leading on regular reporting of governance and project activity at Board and Board sub-committees.
- Deputy DPO leading with responsibility for coordinating FOI and similar requests responses.
- Ensuring health and safety compliance, leading health and safety quarterly committee meeting, reporting outcomes and progress at Exec level and preparing Board appropriate H&S reports.
- Building effective working relationships with a wide range of stakeholders internally and externally.
Key accountabilities will be:
- Ensuring Corporate Risk Register, Assurance Map and Business Continuity Plans are always complete.
- Ensuring coordination and facilitation of smooth and safe office running and health and safety of staff.
- Ensuring general office support is provided as required.
You will be responsible for:
- Coordinating, leading and ensuring project management and governance standards are maintained across the organisation.
- Advanced and pro-active planning.
- A sound understanding of the principles and application of governance in a NDPB.
- Using appropriate judgement in the management of all aspects of governance at Seafish.
- Decision making in accordance with Seafish guidelines and policy, exercising good judgement.
Your essential working relationships will include:
- Board Committee members, Exec team and all Seafish staff.
- Seafish industry and government stakeholders, auditors and other service providers.
To be a suitable candidate for this role you should have:
- A degree in a relevant subject.
- Experienced leader with proven track record in achieving successful outcomes through people.
- Proven experience interacting with senior management.
- Experience in applying best practice and compliance of Health and Safety in multi-location organisation.
- Experience of facilitating smooth running of office services, dealing with external stakeholders.
- Must be highly organised, have a methodical, thorough and robust approach to achieving outcomes.
- Advanced ability to organize and manage competing priorities while working under pressure.
- Tact and good judgment, working with a high degree of confidentiality and sometimes sensitivity.
- Strong interpersonal and oral communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to work with minimum supervision, be self-motivated and be able to use own initiative.
- Excellent problem solving, people, communication and leadership skills, high-level professional standards.
- Familiarity of the legislation, governance and ethics of a public body is preferred but can be learned.
Every role is Seafish is linked to our bespoke competency framework. The competency levels for this role are:
- Growing Expertise – Creates a learning and development environment
- Embracing Change – Shows the ability to adapt to change
- Building Relationships – Builds effective teams to deliver corporate strategy
- Achieving Results - Leads the team to achieve results
- Influencing with Impact – Calculates personal impact and adapts communication
All roles within Seafish are graded and have defined salary bands. This role is a grade 6 and the starting salary on this band is £40,109. A new member’s appointment on the pay spine is dependent on the experience they bring to the role when they start. New candidates normally start at the lower end of the range unless they can demonstrate considerable experience in the requirements of the role.
Additional benefits include:
- 25 days annual leave on top of Bank Holidays and Christmas office closure, and 5 days per year paid volunteering leave for an activity of your choice.
- Flexible working – with ROWE you get all of your work done to the expected standard in a way that suits you.
- A generous employer pension scheme – we'll double your contributions and pay up to 10%.
- A range of health and wellbeing benefits including the Cycle to Work scheme, private medical insurance, gym discounts and free eye tests.
- Our unlimited employee assistance scheme is a support service available 24/7 – it offers confidential, impartial advice on anything you need such as work, family, finance support or anything else personal to you.
- We have a professional development culture with plenty of learning opportunities.
- We also have a high performing culture, and we reward those that do well each year.
To apply for the post you should email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include ‘Project and Governance Manager’ in the subject line of your email.
Your application should include:
- A covering letter or a short video explaining why you are a suitable candidate.
- A recent copy of your CV so we can find out more about your skills and experience.
- A completed copy of our recruitment consent form.
Candidates invited to interview will be given at least one weeks’ notice of proposed interview date to allow you to prepare. At this stage you will be asked to complete a short pre-interview task and then answer some competency-based questions during interview.
For any queries about the job description or the salary and benefits on offer, please email email@example.com.