The Skates and Rays Group
The Skates and Rays Group brings together all sectors of the supply chain to facilitate an understanding, across the supply chain, of issues surrounding the conservation of stocks, and the management of skate and ray fisheries. The intention is to enhance these fisheries continuing viability as responsible fisheries.
The Skates and Rays group is a cross sector industry group set up by Seafish in 2006. Now meeting annually via webinar.
Seafish facilitates, chairs and provides the secretariat for the group. Members are representative of all relevant interests across the UK seafood supply chain including; the catching sector, processors, foodservice, retailers, environmental non-governmental organisations, legislators, regulators, technologists and scientists, other bodies pursuing this goal, and, where appropriate, the media. The group membership is UK-wide.
Virtual meetings are held annually. The group last met by webinar in November 2015. The presentations and minutes from the last few meetings, alongside additional information that may be of interest can be found are below.
Seafish publications on Skates and Rays:
- Seafish spreadsheet: Length, disc width and maturity for ray and skate species from Northern European waters
- Seafish report: Overview of the evolution of the assessment and management of the Northern European skate and ray fishery. December 2014
- Seafish Skates and Rays Identification Guide
For further information on Skates and Rays see:
- Shark Trust Skate and Ray identification Guides
- Shark Trust Skate and Ray factsheets
- Shark Trust 2014 Commercial Fisheries Advisories
New and ongoing initiatives/reports see:
- Advancing the sustainable exploitation of elasmobranchs under the reformed Common Fisheries Policy - MF6001
- A Progress Review of the Defra Shark, Skate, and Ray Conservation Plan. July 2013.
- Project NEPTUNE
- Shark By-Watch UK
Skates and Rays Group minutes
- Notes on webinar November 2015
- October 2014
- October 2013
- Skates and Rays Group history and achievements 2006 -2010